Saturday, March 21, 2009

How Do Babies Come Out?

Having a four-year-old adds a whole new dimension to life! I've been a little caught off guard by the really deep questions about God, Jesus, Heaven and death. But so far, I've been able to come up with fairly good answers for everything to this point (except for the whole fish fiasco ... I had to let Randy explain why the fish's body was still here if he was REALLY in heaven)! To date, my favorite "deep" question was, "Mommy, can our beds be right next to each other in heaven?" I loved that one. Almost made me cry. She asks a lot of questions about what we get to have and do in heaven. But now enters the dreaded topic ... childbirth!

OK, if it weren't for her little friends, this would have remained a non-issue. When she asked me, "Mommy, how do babies come out?" I told her the truth -- when Mommy had you, I went to the hospital and the doctor did surgery on my tummy and took you out! That's true. And after lots of questions about "surgery," she was fine with that. Enter little friends who did NOT come into the world that way! So the three little girlfriends are all sitting around today talking about it (I have no idea why or how things come up with them) and Moriah proceeds to tell them how babies come out. To which her older friend (age 6) replies, "That's not how ALL babies come out!" Oh great, I'm thinking. What now??? Then Moriah asks, "How else do they get out?" Long dramatic pause as Mommy is searching for an answer that won't lead to more questions ... when six year old friend says, "The get PUSHED out!" Moriah looks horrified. "PUSHED OUT?" she says. "Mommy, is that TRUE???" I very nonchalantly said yep, but inside was thinking, "Oh no! NO NO NO!! Please don't ask the logical next question." And she didn't. She just said (in very typical Moriah style), "That's wild!" To which I replied, "Isn't it though!" And I quickly redirected to a new topic ... gotta love little friends ... who weren't born C-section!

Yep, life with a four-year-old is one intense moment of questioning after another!

Life is FREE!

5 comments:

  1. AHHH! That's so funny!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, laugh it up! Then tell me what I'm supposed to tell her when she asks this question the next time when "That's wild" no longer satisfies her curiosity!! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is absolutely hilarious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. too funny! try explaining this to little boys.... even more fun! hopefully it won't come up again for awhile. you can pacify them without much detail for quite a long time.


    usually. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. btw, um, your choice of picture.... HYSTERICAL. only you girl.

    and, maybe me :-)

    ReplyDelete